Monday, November 1, 2010

Height To Hang Drapery Holdbacks

Interview with Brazilian writer Leila Guenther , author of "The hens night flight" Impact of the Nobel Prize

Leila Guenther, Brazilian author, published in late October for the first time in English, his book of stories The hens night flight under the seal of Draft Editors: excellent opportunity to get a bit closer to a literary tradition so near and remote at the same time.

This is the first translation of his work in Peru, how does this experience to reach English-speaking audiences?
I we, Brazilians, we are half sections of what is happening in Latin America because of the language barrier: we are the only ones who do not speak English. I feel the need for more cultural exchange between Brazil and its neighbors. So, for me is still rewarding the experience of being translated in Peru, because that means that my work can be read in the majority language of America.

About the Nobel Mario Vargas Llosa, what are your references about the Peruvian and English literature?
personally stayed very happy with the choice of Mario Vargas Llosa for the Nobel Prize for Literature. I know him Pantoja and the Special , The City and the Dogs (here, at least in the translation I have, has the curious title of Batismo do fogo 2), and I know he wrote about a tragic Episode Brazilian Canudos War in War doomsday . I also know some of the Inca Garcilaso de la Vega, Ricardo Palma, Abraham Valdelomar, Julio Ramón Ribeyro and César Vallejo, one of the most important poets of the twentieth century. Literature in more contemporary English language, I read Roberto Bolaño, Ricardo Piglia, whose reflections on the story interested me enough, and, at this very moment, novel Your Face Tomorrow by Javier Marias .

From what I researched, this book is a compilation of several years publishing in various media, tell us a little about the selection process.
wrote the stories that make up The night flight hens over a period of ten years. It's a small book where I write little and concluded shortly. I made the selection, rewriting, cutting, purging, and tried to arrange them so that they were linked by a path that was from oppression, from suffocation, until liberation.

Well, I see that many of your stories the characters move on a daily reality until they are subjected to unusual situations or unusual: Currently continue that trend in your writing? What is working?
Yes, everyday reality and how the fantastic, strange, can emerge suddenly and disrupt the order of things is a subject that is interesting, but I've also worked on stories where the opposite is true: the most banal, everyday things are understood as something strange and unusual. But my most recently published poems were inspired by Japanese forms such as haiku and koan, I composed from photographs taken from the spectacle of a Brazilian of Japanese origin choreography that develops concepts of Zen Buddhism in their dance ( Cronopios ).

Your stories also maintain a constant halo poetic, contemplative, including Ana text'' Cristina César''is written in verse "In literary terms, think this may be the trait that most defines you?
not write it otherwise. I think this poetic aura that you mean from the pictures I try to create, the choice of words and the sheer size of my texts, which are almost always short. Even I used to call''text''as Ana Cristina César Story''''... Frankly, I believe there is no poetic prose.

The story da title of the book tells the story of a woman awaiting the return of your partner while admiring her breasts and everything around it so subtly is lost in the obsession and even paranoia Could this be part of his vision of love female?
do not know because when I wrote this story I had in mind something very point: that the man in history never to return, although it is not clear in the text. He could have died during a trip, I might have left the woman, etc. In other words, not the vision of love in general, but the love in front of a specific act: the disappearance of the beloved.

The epilogue of the book is a collage of various fragments of texts by other authors such as Machado de Assis, Clarice Lispector, Samuel Becket and Borges, why so heterogeneous a choice? What impact do you think you got of each?
liked the end of texts, rather than the beginning. I have a fixation with the last sentence, for the last word. So, I wanted to compose a final draft done only at the end I deemed interesting. That does not necessarily mean you have been influenced by those authors, but for certain things they wrote.

Many thanks for letting us know a little more than Leila Guenter, I am sure this interview will interest readers Peruvians.
I who thank you, John, for the opportunity to answer your questions.

More information
Book presentation "The hens night flight" of Guenther Leila (Draft Publishers 2010)
Day: Thursday November 4
Location: CC La Noche (Av. Bolognesi 307, Barranco)
Time: 8 00 pm
Remarks: Julia Wong and Gabriel Ruiz Ortega
Free Admission (Vino de Honor at the end of the presentation)

By Juan Valle ( Other Voices )

0 comments:

Post a Comment